Taking place Dec. 26-Jan. 1 each year, there are four interesting facts about the cultural celebration known as Kwanzaa:
1. The name “Kwanzaa” comes from a Swahili phrase that translates to “first fruits of the harvest.”
2. The number “7” is a recurring symbol in Kwanzaa. The celebration lasts for seven days, there are seven principles and symbols of Kwanzaa, and the word Kwanzaa itself has an extra “a” at the end to make it seven letters.
3. Kwanzaa is celebrated by many people of African heritage in both the U.S. and Canada.
4. Kwanzaa gifts are traditionally homemade, educational or culturally themed.
– De’Andra Gaston, 360 Media, Inc., The Atlanta 100